Saturday, September 25, 2010

Tzatziki Sauce

Usually I give you several recipes.  But this recipe is so good, I didn't want to wait to think of another recipe.  I had served tzatziki with these chicken kabobs and Greek salad for dinner tonight - I've made this meal before and it's such a great, fresh meal.

Tzatziki is a Greek cucumber yogurt sauce.  I remember getting it from Mediterranean bakeries when we were growing up and it was one of my favorite sauces.  And it's just as good as I remembered!  We always have some plain nonfat yogurt in the house (I'm actually going to try to make homemade yogurt soon!) and it's a really easy sauce to put together. Just grate some cucumber (or cheat and pulse it in the food processor like I did) and add oil, lemon juice and a few spices.  I used this on everything tonight - my garlic bread, chicken kabobs AND with my Greek salad.  Delicious.

Tzatziki Sauce

Taken from: A Hint of Honey
  • 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or regular yogurt (I used nonfat)
  • 1/4 large cucumber (or 1/2 small), shredded and squeezed to remove the excess moisture (I often use a cheese grater for this or throw it in the food processor for a few pulses)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • dash of dried or fresh dill (optional)
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • fresh mint, to garnish (optional)
-In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper. Add yogurt, cucumber and garlic and stir until evenly combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Ralphie, this looks delicious! Cullen and I will definitely have to try it!

    ReplyDelete