Monday, October 11, 2010

Ratatouille

This meal was inspired both by my monthly subscription to Everyday Food magazine as well as by my younger sister.  I love reading through Everyday Food every month (I actually take it to the gym and read it on the elliptical...but then again, I like watching the Food Network while working out, too). It's full of good recipes and ideas.  In case you get Everyday Food, someone has taken the time to painstakingly index every single issue of Everyday Food: Everyday Index. Unbelievable!

But I digress. My point was that ratatouille was one of the featured recipes in this month's issue.  However, I remember how much my younger sister loved the Moosewood cookbook's version of ratatouille.  Moosewood is a famous vegetarian cookbook (well, I guess I should say famous for a cookbook).  I was so eager to try the original Moosewood version that I searched the website to try to find the real thing.  And luckily, a Syracuse newspaper printed what I hope is the authentic version (if you have the cookbook, you can be the judge).

This recipe FAR exceeded my expectations - it was delicious! It was surprisingly hearty for being only vegetables.  There also seems to be a lot of ways to serve it, too.  We had it with a side of fresh bread which was excellent but I think I'll freeze the leftovers and then serve it over pasta next time.  I also rolled it up in phyllo dough and baked it 15 minutes (a suggestion by Everyday Food) which was great the next day at lunch.


Ratatouille
Taken from: Moosewood Cookbook
Serves 6-8
  • 3 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 2 medium bell peppers, diced
  • 2 small zucchini, cubed (or summer squash, or a combination)
  • 1 small eggplant, cubed
  • 4 cloves crushed garlic
  • 2 medium tomatoes, in chunks
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon each: basil and marjoram (I used 1 tsp. dried basil and 1 tsp. dried oregano)
  • ½ teaspoon oregano (I used 1/2 tsp. dried thyme)
  • Dash of ground rosemary (I used a large pinch of dried rosemary)
  • 3 tablespoons Burgundy (or dry red wine of your choice)
  • ½ tablespoon tomato paste
  • 2 teaspoons salt (approximately)
  • Black pepper to taste
  • Optional add-ins: freshly chopped parsley, grated Parmesan cheese, sliced black olives
-Heat olive oil in large, heavy cooking pot. Crush the garlic into the oil. Add bay leaf and onion. Saute over medium heat until onion begins to turn transparent.
-Add eggplant, wine and tomato paste. Add herbs. Stir to mix well, then cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes over low heat.
-When eggplant is tender enough to be easily pricked by a fork, add zucchini and peppers. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper and tomatoes. Mix well.
-Continue to stew until all vegetables are tender.
-Serve with chopped parsley, grated Parmesan and/or sliced black olives.
-Serve with rice, bread or pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment