Saturday, July 10, 2010

First Entry

So this is the beginning of a blog. Bryant and I moved from Washington DC to California last month, courtesy of the United States Air Force, so we're starting our new life here. And seeing that the job search is ALWAYS harder than one thinks, I've thrown myself into other things...going to the gym, finding free samples/coupons online, doing online surveys for chump change (but I DID get a $100 gift card...crazy, huh?), and my favorite, COOKING.

Ever since we were married last year, I've really gotten into cooking (I mean really into it - a friend of mine found me in bed one evening, reading a cookbook) but I think it's been taken to a whole new level here. Two reasons: 1) being gainfully unemployed, I (shockingly) have a lot more time on my hands and 2) we've moved to the land of plenty! It hasn't been overflowing with milk and honey yet but summers in California give us an opportunity to have SUCH wonderful food. Plus, conveniently, on our way out to California, Bryant and I both read different books on food. I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle which I liked although I find myself at polar opposites with the author, Barbara Kingsolver, when it comes to religion and politics. However, we find some common ground with food. When it comes down to it, I like the idea of eating the ripest, freshest food WHILE supporting local farmers. Bryant read Michael Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma. He was really influenced by the idea of eating healthier foods - foods that lack negative issues - such as antibiotics in chicken - as well accentuate the positive (did you know grass fed beef has MORE omega 3s than farm raised salmon?).

But I digress (obviously, when you get me started on food...). This blog is dedicated to food and other adventures Bryant and I have with our new life in California!

No comments:

Post a Comment