Sunday, March 20, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal

Since breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, I wanted something a little more special for our Sunday breakfast this week.  I keep a running list of recipes I'd like to try so as I perused through the breakfast options, I kept coming up with delicious options but they were filled with butter and sugar.  Since I was in the mood for something a little healthier, I decided on a baked oatmeal recipe that I had bookmarked.

We've been using a LOT of oatmeal lately - we've been making our own granola lately and I just haven't gotten tired of it.  This baked oatmeal recipe turned out to be excellent - actually, I think this made the list as one of my favorite breakfast recipes! I ate more than Bryant did, which rarely ever happens.

I originally halved this recipe by using a loaf pan, but after my first bite, I instantly regretted that decision.  After breakfast, I immediately went back to the kitchen and made MORE for future breakfasts this week.  It's a sweet dish with the brown sugar and the apples add extra sweetness and a great crunch.  If you can help it, try not to peel the apples - you don't notice the peel and not only does it save you time but it adds extra fiber and nutrients to the dish!


Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
Taken from: Two Peas and their Pod
Serves 4-6
  • 2 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar (the original recipe called for light but I used dark)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups skim milk
  • 1/2 cup applesauce (preferably unsweetened)
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (I used 1 1/2 teaspoons)
  • 1 large Granny Smith apple, cored and diced (I substituted 2 Pink Lady apples instead)
Optional Toppings (although I thought it was so good, I didn't bother):
  • dried cranberries or raisins
  • sliced almonds or chopped walnuts
  • brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8 by 8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, applesauce, melted butter, egg, and vanilla. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until combined. Gently stir in diced apples. Pour oatmeal mixture into prepared pan.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until oatmeal is golden brown and set. Remove from oven and serve warm. Add additional toppings to baked oatmeal, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment